Supreme Court candidate, Joanne Kloppenburg stresses to the media that she wants to be “independent” and “impartial.” Yet, she turned to a top Democratic strategist to run her campaign.
Kloppenburg’s campaign manager, Melissa Mulliken, has run a series of prominent Democratic campaigns in Wisconsin. An article in the Madison Isthmus newspaper labeled Mulliken “a longtime consultant to Democratic candidates.” (March 18, 2010). Mulliken’s past clients have included the following Democratic officials:
- Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk race for attorney general. The Isthmus once jokingly termed Mulliken a “Falk look alike” and noted that she has been a long time Falk supporter, who once lauded Falk’s “courageous stand on corrections reform” in a letter to the Wisconsin State Journal. Indeed, Kloppenburg also has ties to Falk, having donated money to her campaigns and working closely with her as top environmental law enforcers who supported more state power in battles between the DNR and businesses and homeowners, against the wishes of Republican legislators.
- Democratic Dane County DA Brian Blanchard’s appellate race
- Former Madison Mayor Paul Soglin… a liberal who is running for mayor again.
- Democratic Dane County Sheriff Dave Mahoney
- Democratic candidate for attorney general and former DNR secretary, Scott Hassett