I was on The David Madeira Show this morning to talk about the death of pension reform in Pennsylvania and how a “moderate” Republican helped bury it.
As Media Trackers reported yesterday, a pension reform bill was sent back to the Human Services Committee on a motion by Rep. Gene DiGirolamo (R-Bucks), essentially ending the pension reform discussion until after the summer recess.
Republican Gov. Tom Corbett has been urging the legislature to pass pension reform — which is now highly unlikely — before he signs off on the 2014-2015 budget.
Media Trackers uncovered a strong labor union influence behind DiGirolamo’s action. Public employee unions are highly critical of any type of pension reform and contribute to legislators in addition to lobbying against reform. DiGirolamo is a staunch union advocate.
This year, 6 of the 15 Republicans who voted to return pension reform to committee have received union money funneled through Good Jobs PA Political Action Committee (PAC), which is run by DiGirolamo. One additional representative received Good Jobs PA PAC money in 2013.
Good Jobs PA PAC is not DiGirolamo’s only tie to labor unions. As noted in yesterday’s article, over half of DiGirolamo’s 2012 campaign contributions came from labor unions. DiGirolamo’s 2013 campaign contributions tell a similar story: of his $42,000 total campaign contributions, around $15,000 came from labor unions.
The following Republican House members voted with DiGirolamo and House Democrats to send the pension reform bill back to committee:
- Rep. Stephen Barrar (R-Delaware): Recipient of Good Jobs PA PAC money
- Rep. Karen Boback (R-Luzerne): Recipient of Good Jobs PA PAC money
- Rep. Frank Farry (R-Bucks)
- Rep. Mike Fleck (R-Huntingdon): Recipient of Good Jobs PA PAC money
- Rep. Robert Godshall (R-Montgomery): Recipient of Good Jobs PA PAC money
- Rep. Glen Grell (R-Cumberland)
- Rep. Joe Hackett (R-Delaware): Recipient of Good Jobs PA PAC money
- Rep. Nick Miccarelli (R-Delaware): Recipient of Good Jobs PA PAC money in 2013
- Rep. David Millard (R-Columbia)
- Rep. Thomas Murt (R-Montgomery): Recipient of Good Jobs PA PAC money
- Rep. John Payne (R-Dauphin)
- Rep. Michael Peifer (R-Pike)
- Rep. Mario Scavello (R-Monroe)
- Rep. Jerry Stern (R-Blair)
Listen to my interview on The David Madeira Show here.